Our Story

 

The inspiration for this great church began at a prayer meeting.  A small number of Christians, living in and near Covington, TN, felt the need for an Assemblies of God church in their city.  In early 1941, a lot was purchased on the corner of Highway 51 South and Garland Avenue.  Rev. Floyd Jones conducted a summer-long revival as members worked hard to establish the church.  After much opposition, a building permit was secured and a basement was built.  The church met in the basement until 1947 when the sanctuary was completed.  Over the next years, educational space and a parsonage were added.  In 1972-73, First Assembly secured a new property on Highway 51 S and a new sanctuary and parsonage were constructed.  The congregation moved to its new location and, although many changes have taken place, still worships at this site today. 

 

Since its humble beginnings, Covington Assembly has served as a beacon of light and source of spiritual power to the Tipton County community.  An accurate measure of the eternal impact of the church’s ministry through these 70 plus years is simply beyond knowing.  We do know that thousands have been saved, healed, baptized, and impacted by the Spirit’s power and have been strengthened in their walk with God. Thousands of families have been fed by the teaching and preaching of God’s word and uplifted by the prayers of the saints who have gathered here.  Only heaven knows Covington Assembly’s true contribution.